Independence Day is right around the corner. This Fourth of July, you can make a deliberate effort to further propel the movement to eat fresh, local and healthy. Roots of Change (ROC) and Rootamental want to provide you with a few tips on what you can do to celebrate sustainably.
- Support the Local Food Movement –- Check out these two great guides listing local farms, markets, restaurants and more. Please visit the Eat Well Guide, as well as, Buy Fresh, Buy Local.
- Grill Seasonal Vegetables –- Learn more about which veggies are in season by visiting the Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture’s (CUESA) seasonality chart.
- Support Meatless Monday – Independence Day falls on a Monday so join the cause to improve your health and the health of the planet, visit Meatless Monday.
But for those of you that must eat meat this holiday, please make sure it’s sustainable. Check out Local Harvest’s meat database to find local, organic meat.
- Keep Your Food Safe This Holiday – Find out what you can do to ensure no one in your family gets sick by visiting Food Safety.
- Reduce Your Food Waste – The Center for Disease Control and Prevention reports that the average American wastes nearly 40% of the total food consumed. Find out what you can do by visiting the Daily Green helpful guide.
- Support our work – ROC is working to ensure that every aspect of our food—from the time it’s grown to the time it’s eaten—can be healthy, safe, profitable and fair. Visit ROC.
Roots of Change and Rootamental wishes you a wonderful Fourth of July. Join the movement for a healthier food environment.